Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Bypass user GPO in Windows Xp / 2003

From: b.hines () comcast net
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:39:52 +0000

Espen,

Take a look at the hardening guides at http://www.cisecurity.org/ . I also believe there is a setting in the Security
policy manager for just this item runas.  By removing runas capabilties, and then controling file access via file
privilages should correct this.

From: Espen <espen () espen mine nu>

During some security testing in a high security enviorment - I
discovered that by using the "run as" or "the runas /noprofile" I could
bypass user GPO settings completely.

I e-mailed the security mail at Microsoft about it - and they confirmed
that they had reproducedc the behavior - but said that the user
restrictons where not ment as security settings - but just to stop the
user from messing up their enviorment !?!?!?!

To reproduce it:

Set up a domain with strict security settings. Eg. Software restritions
policies, hide local drives, remove "run", disable cmd.exe and so on.

Log on to an XP computer in that domain - make a link to cmd.exe -
select "run as" on that link.

Logon with another user in the same domain - with the same restrictions
- you'll see that the GPO's will not be loaded for that user.

Maybe not a big deal - but I thought you should know......