Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Example firewall script

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:50:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Jason Coombs wrote:

The problem with knowing a thing or two about a thing or two is that
you're constantly arguing with other people who know nothing about
things that nobody else can possibly understand, and that nobody will be
forced to learn about or consider carefully until it's too late for the
knowledge to save them from harm.

Slow day Jason?

This is yet another reason that full disclosure is crucial to everyone's
readiness and to our ability to defend ourselves... Discussion and
analysis of complex subjects, with real-world study and disclosure of
failures and mistakes, prepares us to understand new risks and classify
new threats according to actual significance in our situations.

So, thank you both for sharing your debate and thereby calling attention
to an area of uncertainty in practice, but if you're going to argue
about definitions of routing tables vs. ACLs, why not do it in a way
that mere mortals are able to understand some day in the future when
they find your debate archived somewhere because their Cisco router's
ACL ruleset failed to consider the fact that they had routes and
multihomed interfaces configured dynamically by an attacker who knew
better than the victim just how ACLs are parsed and precisely what the
difference is between a good ACL and a bad one -- or where an attacker
knew there was another interface physically attached to the Cisco device
where a small wireless access point could be attached, which WAP would
automatically assign the Cisco device another endpoint address in the
WAP's address space.

Heartily agreed.  In spite of that agreement, thank you for providing that
wonderful tidbit.

Fuck off doesn't add to the substance of the technical arguments, and
even trying to understand why you are debating at all there does not
appear to be any reason

Actually, I accept responsibility for the ambiguity: the "FUCK OFF" was
not directed at the technical pseudodebate, it was directed at the lunatic
telephone calls.  So, for the sake of clarity and in the spirit of Full
Disclosure, allow me to be clearer the second time around:

Eric: FUCK YOU.  (As opposed to "FUCK OFF").

There.  I feel better now :-)

//Alif

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin () mfn org
0xBD4A95BF

I like the idea of belief in drug-prohibition as a religion in that it is
a strongly held belief based on grossly insufficient evidence and
bolstered by faith born of intuitions flowing from the very beliefs they
are intended to support.

don zweig, M.D.