Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Injeciton.

From: Jeremy Bishop <requiem () praetor org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:30:03 -0700

On Friday 19 August 2005 20:20, Gabbar Sing wrote:
Hi,

We have an internal web application written in PHP, in which the
developer has got following line.

<snip>

At first sight I though its very much vulnerible to SQL Injection,
but I am not just able to demonstrate it. As when i send the
character " ' " it just escapes it before sending query to db as " '
" thus  failing my injection.

PHP has a feature known as magic quotes that can provide automatic
escaping of quotes in user-submitted data.  I believe the configuration
variables to look at are "magic_quotes_gpc" and "magic_quotes_sybase",
or some variation on those; the documentation should be more revealing.

The developer may also have manually sanitized the data; I assume you
have checked for that already?  The ideal means of handling input would
be to have the code check whether magic quotes are enabled and to take
appropriate action based on the result of that check.

--
My group's mission statement - 'You want *what* ? By *WHEN* ?'
              -- Simon Burr