Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Motorist wins case after maths whizzes break speed camera code (fwd)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:28:17 -0400

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:07:19 CDT, "J.A. Terranson" said:

Mr Mirabilis yesterday said he had received more than 100 inquiries
from motorists anxious to use the same defence. "People have shown it
[the algorithm] has been hacked and it's open to viruses."

MD5 has viruses? (For what it's worth, the MD5 break concerned forming 2
different plaintexts that had the same MD5 hash, but you have no control over
what the hash value actually is - forming a second plaintext to match a given
plaintext's hash is still believed infeasible).  Your best attack would probably
be to attack the "chain of evidence" of the MD5 hash itself, and show that a
different picture, with different MD5, could have replaced the original..

This proves 2 things:

1) The qualifications for "expert witness" are *way* too low.

2) We *really* need to be vigilant in our defense of correct usage of terms.