Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Insecure http pages referencing https form-actions.

From: fd () ew nsci us
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
fd () ew nsci us wrote:
Today I realized that many "secured" web sites reference their secure
login page from an insecure page.  For example:

http://www.some-luser.com/login.html:
  <form action="https://cgi.some-luser.com/login-cgi";>
    user: <input name=user>
    pass: <input name=pass>
  </form>

Welcome to, ohhh, 1997???

I can't be bothered looking it up, but this is ancient.

Of course, that it still happens really, often, on huge sites that
really should know better says a lot about, well, many things really...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Ok, good -- I'm not missing something then.  Almost a decade later and
they still repeat history.  Guess its time to contact the vendor - wheee!

A note for those who use online banking: check for the s!

Thank you for your confirmation, Nick!

-Eric

--
Eric Wheeler