Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Defeating Citi-Bank Virtual Keyboard Protection

From: root <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:27:04 -0400

Peter Ferrie wrote:

Recently I discovered a method to defeat the much hyped Citi-Bank
Virtual Keyboard Protection which the bank claimed that it defends the
customers against malicious programs like keyloggers, Trojans and
spywares etc.
Wouldn't that be trivial to snoop on simply by making a trojan / spyware
application that records a section of screen in the immediate proximity of
mouse cursor on every mouse click? It's not that resource consuming, and
easy to arrange.

Something similar was done by variants of the W32/Dumaru family last year.
That was an attack against the e-Gold keypad.
You can read about it here: http://pferrie.tripod.com/vb/dumaru.pdf

This has already done in 1997 in 'proof of concept' form to do the screen capture process, when 2 Australian banks launched on-screen keypads. I understand the demo took an image of around 10 pixel +- th mouse click position.

Nothing terribly new, concept-wise.

Lyal