Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Example firewall script (iptables)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:01:59 -0400

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:41:20 BST, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bernardo_Mart=EDn?= said:
In my first email i requested about bad example firewall script, in later
mail i said that this script was to learn more so the scene isn't important
because i'm loking for bad script in any scene

The scenario is *very* important - the firewall rules that I have on my
laptop are demonstrably correct *for this usage*.  However, they are also
*incorrect* for other laptops, even others running Fedora Core 4 - of some
60 lines of rules, fully 3/4 of them are dealing with local oddities of
our network and what I do (for instance, there's a ruleset that does nothing
effective except make sure that iptables doesn't hit a '-j LOG' for a
retransmitted FIN+ACK for a just-torn-down connection to our mail server
that's no longer in the conntrack cache, so it doesn't show up in a feed
to our DSHield server).

And of course, it bears almost *no* relationship to what the firewall
rules look like for our Oracle servers - running my firewall rules on
the Oracle boxes would be a "bad script", as would running the Oracle
rulesets on my laptop.