Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How to Report a Security Vulnerability to Microsoft

From: tuytumadre () att net
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:56:13 +0000

hahahahahaha

m$ doing social engineering on fd, this is a joke.

basically they want your 0days so billg becomes more rich.

Mr. Guninski, although I am a huge fan of your work, I could not disagree more. I am sending this email from Redmond
where I was invited by Microsoft to a small conference about security (it was mostly about what they go through when
stuff is reported). "M$", as you call it, is not trying to get your 0days. They simply want to protect customers, and,
although a large part about it is profits, the concern is mostly (as far as I know) about the users. Microsoft's
biggest fear is wide-spread virus epidemics, so when a critical vulnerability is fully disclosed without prior notice
to MSRC, Microsoft goes into an emergency state and everyone gets off of vacation early to come in and help resolve the
issue (as was the case with my auto-sp2rc release in December, also called "Paul's Christmas" by MSRC employees).
Microsoft knows that security researchers hang out on lists like fd a bugtraq, so what better place to eliminate the
common improper disclosing ignorance than to provide cl
 ear, concise instructions directly on the security hotspots?

Regards,
Paul
Greyhats Security
http://greyhatsecurity.org