Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Case ID 51560370 - Notice of ClaimedInfringement

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:23:07 -0400

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:07:08 EDT, bkfsec said:

Craft a file with the same hash, time+date stamp and size, and be sure
to include a program and license disclosure for a program that you
wrote.

Unfortunately, nobody has a good algorithm for creating a file that has the
same MD5 hash as a given existing file.  So while I *can* create two files
"foo1" and "foo2" that happen to have the same hash (the actual value of which
I have no control over), I can't (yet) create a file that has the same MD5 hash
as the trailer for the next Star Wars movie...