Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AV companies better hire good lawyers soon.

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:12:31 -0400

Mister Coffee wrote:

Making it the other guy's fault doesn't wash.  It's more bad QC on the AV vendor's part.  But as you mentioned previously, they'll get pounced if
zome 0day gets past them and some clown loses his data.  It's a thankless task.  But it's _far_ more reasonable for them to err on the side of "Physician, do
no harm" and miss the first day of an outbreak than it is for them to rush out and -break existing programs- because they were in such a hurry to "Be first to
recognize ScatMaster () w32 MM!!"

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that.

If AV vendors were physicians and operating system/application combinations biological entities, I might agree.

However, if XYZ AV program blows away a copy of c0rph0re.exe thinking its "scatmaster", it's not nearly as bad as if "scatmaster" were allowed to spread and cause other damage to people's PCs. A compromised system can cause considerable problems for an organization, not to mention damage programs and files. It can be assumed that if said person has c0rph0re.exe on his system, he/she should be able to reinstall it should it get blown out of the water. Recovery in this situation is relatively simple. Recovery in the case of, say, a keylogger or a backdoor or a rootkit is not nearly so simple.

I would definately err on the side of caution here.

               -Barry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html