Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: open telnet port

From: Dries Robberechts <dries () skybel net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:04:31 +0200

I disagree, when running telnetd, people will use it and hence create a security flaw. Moreover, you would use it yourself with the very intention of becoming root and starting a secure daemon, which in my opinion can do lot more harm than good.

Even on a (virtual) private network I would try to avoid it whenever possible, but using it on a public network as a backup I wouldn't even consider.

Dries.

A reasonable use for telnet is when the ssh deamon goes down, or isn't started on bootup because of some configuration error...

Yes, I know it isn't secure, but sometimes it can be the last resort...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html