Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [OT] Re: Re: New paper on Security and Obscurity

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:28:28 -0400

Stormwalker wrote:

<>Hi,

It wasn't the general, massive military build up, but the specific
program known as Star Wars under Ronald Raygun. The Soviets believed
that the nonsense was true and tried to fund the research to catch up
until they hit the wall. Unlike real military weapons, a fake weapon
is controlled by the imagination, so there no limits to what was possible.

cheers, bob

Well, in all fairness, that wasn't the intent of the missile defense network. Many people considered it a very real "weapon" and we spent quite a bit of money on it as well.

But, the rumors of a nasty super-weapon didn't hurt in sending the Soviet system down. Like I said, it's never just one thing. But ultimately, it's poor governing on the part of the Soviets that brought the Soviet Union down.

            -Barry

<>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html