Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: JPEG AV Detection

From: Gerry Eisenhaur <GEisenhaur () Cisco com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:44:01 -0400

After looking in to what the AV companies base their signature on, it appears that they use the \xff\xfe\x00\x00 or \xff\xfe\x00\x01 string in the vulnerable JPEG. If you change the size to a valid size, the AV is not triggered.

I know there is some talk about other sections being vulnerable to overflow as well, I have not look into this yet so I can not be sure. If it is true, I wonder if the AV companies are aware/detect the possible new exploits.

Anyone else have any input?

/gerry

Todd Towles wrote:
 What exactly are the AV products detecting in the JPEG exploits? Barry
and I was talking about how impressed we were that the AV companies
jumped on this one and detection was pretty fast. But is the detection
so generic that a variant will bypass? Is the detection based on a
original exploit that could be modified in a way that makes it
"undetectable" right now?

-Todd