Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: interesting trojan found

From: defiance <seclists () stratitec com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:58:52 -0500

You could get a knoppix disk that has ntfs r/w compiled in and use it.

defiance

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:51 am, Richard Stevens wrote:
A client had a problem home PC, after removal of all the usual spyware,
adware and 6 month old viruses,

there remained an unusual process in the process list, logon.exe, which

Process Explorer pointed to it being from c:\windows\system32\logon.exe

it tries to connect to a singnet ip address on port 3175.

This file appeared almost invisible to the file system in both safe &
normal mode, which struck me as being unusual.

You could not delete it, copy it or see it in a directory listing (file not
found),  but you could execute it directly.

I eventually got a copy of it by using an NTFS-reader boot disk, and ran it
through virus total.

Kaspersky was the only one to recognize it as backdoor.win32.rbot.gen

Just wondering really

a: if anyone wants it for study. (off list replies pls, will be sent in
passworded zip) b: anyone know a free boot disk that both reads & writes to
NTFS, so I can delete it!

Regards

Richard

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.