Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [SPAM] Your daily internet traffic report

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:15:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, RandallM wrote:

Router                        location                index
router1.iust.ac.ir    Iran (Tehran)   29

Which one of you are attacking Iran
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/asia.htm

I am a bit puzzled. Why o they think that some random routers and ICMP
echo requests mak a good representation?

Most routers will regard any ICMP request to them as a low priority issue.
But there is no garantue that a drop of packets is an indication of the
router being busy. It could be dropped halfway and you will never know
why.

But the internet topology is much, much more complex. Doing ICMP echo
requests to 1 router and telling everyone what a country statistic is so
far besides the truth I will not call it a lie. (I hate to insult lies by
implying them in this.)

I have been on some provider location through out the Netherlands yet
there is only one (and a rather obscure one at that) router which should
represent the Netherlands.

Next thing they will show is graphs of pig airtraffic I guess.

Hugo.