Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IRC spying to increase

From: Ali Campbell <fdisclosure () alicampbell org uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 04:48:20 +0000

> What the .gov is thinking of doing now is meant for extremely large networks
> like EfNet.
> I don't think Steve van singlehandedly monitor the whole of EfNet.

I agree that SG couldn't possibly monitor the whole of efnet, but he *did* have some automatic analysis going on:

(from grc.com)

"They snagged passing URLs and quickly downloaded anything that was referenced. I even got quite fancy and built a Markov-chain finite-state statistical dialog modeller. It monitored the flow of IRC channel nicknames and automated the process of determining who was talking to whom, and who were the "bosses" who commanded the most power and respect."

Ali

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html