Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: EEYE: Windows Shell ZIP File Decompression DUNZIP32.DLL Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:12:51 -0400

A few things I've noticed with this advisory: eEye states that the
vulnerability is an overflow in dunzip32.dll and that MS04-034 fixes
it. However, from what I've seen MS04-034 only patches zipfldr.dll.
Further, MS04-034 claims that Windows ME is not vulnerable, while eEye
says it is. Also, eEye says that the dunzip32.dll overflow is an issue
for XP, yet I am unable to find dunzip32.dll on a stock XP SP1 system.
Is it possible that the eEye release and the MS04-034 bulletin are
talking about two separate issues?

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH