Full Disclosure mailing list archives

DHCP Flood on inside network. HELP!!

From: "Eddie " <EddieS () softhome net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:00:07 -0700

I don't have much information on this yet, I am driving down to the office now to pull an all nighter. I figured I
would toss this out to the list and see if anyone has any
idea.  This is just info from what I can get from talking to people and what little time I can get on the network
before it goes down.

Starting 2 days ago, I discovered the PIX 515 was locked hard.  It seems to be random, but around every 15-30 minutes
something floods the network hard for a few
minutes. Broadcast flood too. This is a small network with 30 workstations and 5 servers (Linux and SCO, no Wins). It
overloads the Extreme switches and I see pdu (or
something like that, not udp tho) errors on about every port.
The Pix 515  overloads and is having issues, but I did see it say something about ARP problems when I could get to the
syslog for more info. I looked up the error
number and it said it could be ARP poisoning. Not sure what would do that.

In the syslog of the DHCP server, I see thousands of DHCP DISCOVER request(and the REPLAY request from the server, a
Linux box).  It looks like one client on the
network (I have seen this both from XP and Win98) will send 100+  DISCOVER request a second swamping the network. Not
always DISCOVER too.
That will go on for a few minutes, then all is well. Then another computer will do the same thing.

This is quickly overloading things and I am getting IRQ busy and overload errors on some of the servers.

What should I look for. I have never seen something like this before.

Thanks
-Eddie

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html