Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: House approves spyware legislation

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:53:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Gregory Gilliss wrote:

Great, Not that I'm any fan of spyware, but this is just another law
against hacking. Think - what's the difference between this and someone
using XSS to "take control" of a computer? If you r00t a box and deface
the home page, then you've broken this law.

<sigh> Instead of fixing the problem (poor software security) we pass
laws to punish the people who do the things that illustrate the problem.
Basic philosophical differences, blah blah blah ...

So, yer advocating that breaking into a system to say plant a file or to
do XSS tricks on the website is okay?  As long as it's merely an
"illistration", correct?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html