Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: getting administrator rights on win2003 machine?

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:46:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Anders Langworthy wrote:

Somehow, I get the feeling that the original poster's site will discover
KVM switches around 2008 or so. ;)

That's exactly my point.  I don't necessarily approve of this list being
used to help clueless script kiddies r00t systems, but the information
needed to accomplish that feat is *identical* to the the information
needed by clueless sysadmins to prevent against it.

What if I had been the original poster, and had phrased my question from
the standpoint of a system administrator requesting help in hardening a
Windows 2003 server that has to be physically accessible?  Would you
have "seen through my ploy" and not helped me?

This list is about helping people who are interested in computer
security get *better* at computer security.  I don't see how we can
maintain that double standard without causing more harm than good.

the tigher one pulls the fine ethical line, the taunter it becomes and the
riskier it gets to walk said line.

Those asking for help in a flagrant manner as to expose their scemes as
illegal in the end, need to be flamed for the mere supposition that others
are blind to their intended actions.  Paying a bit more attention to what
one is reading prior to spewing out 'answers' does help.

Course, it could all be added to the charter, this list is not intended to
help children with their homework nor fewls to break into systems...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html