Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CSS in E-Mails possible E-Mail-Validity Check for Spammers?

From: Andrew Clover <and-bugtraq () doxdesk com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:52:51 +0100

plonk () datenritter de wrote:

Mozilla Mail 1.7.1 (W98) and 1.7.3 (W98) (didn't check different versions) automatically load CSS-files which are linked from within an html-page sent in an e-mail

Yes. There have been other ways to force an HTTP request from HTML mail too (eg. background images, bug 239954) so this is not unexpected.

The "block loading of remote images in mail messages" option isn't waterproof from a privacy point of view. It would be nice if it was, but I'm not sure this is actually Mozilla's goal; perhaps worth filing a bug to force the issue?

- turn off HTML in E-Mails (not possible in Mozilla?)

Should be possible - it is in Thunderbird (View->Message Body as->Plain Text) and I highly recommend doing so.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and () doxdesk com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.