Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Outlook 2003 listening on udp/3088

From: Ondrej Krajicek <krajicek () ics muni cz>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:42:58 +0200

This is probably the new mail notification service used by Exchange. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;264035

Thank you, I've missed this. Nevertheless, I've tried what the article
suggests with _no_ success. Moreover, it seems that other Office
(2003) suite applications do this too (tested with Word and Excel)
and also, every application binds to its own port.

For example... I am just running two instances of Word, one Excel
and Outlook. I have three UDP ports wide open (blocked by
firewall). Thanks God I am used to TeX and don't need Office
for serious work ;).

If this would be a message notification service, it would make sense
to open one port and only by Outlook. For what it is used
by Word I could not guess.

Well another issue for their crapy technical support.

Ondra

|Ondrej Krajicek                                                 (-KO|
|Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University Brno, CR          |
|http://isildur.ics.muni.cz/~ondra               krajicek () ics muni cz|