Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Sasser author

From: van Helsing <vh () helith net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:48:21 +0200

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew Morris <husky_cat () yahoo com> wrote:

This must be a joke.

Who, with a strait face, can believe that exploiting a
buffer overflow is just the act of an inocent person
using "Microsofts Features".

If this is not a joke then the author must be a black
hat. The comments alone indicate he/she is an MS
bigot.

Not that I believe MS is virtuous or the best, but
exploiting a bug in any OS and then claiming that it
is just a normal use of an OS's feature set is
ridiculous.

If anyone used the trojaned sendmail its no ones
fault, just a feature right?!

Maybe I'm a "blackhat" too...
But you're to differ STRONGLY between datamanipulation and exploiting a
buffer overflow.

In case 1 we modify something (e.g. sendmailexample).
In case 2 we JUST USE the Software itselfs.
Nobody can't arrest you for the misstakes other do...

If the sasser-autor will be judged then NOT for exploiting the software.
When you're car is open and I take your Wallet it is NOT a theft.
It is a pilfer without angreement.
That's a difference for the law! ;)

So if you exploit something you can't be judged for datamanipulation...
So we can say that exploiting something isn't a crime couse you can't be
judged for the misstakes other guys make.

vh