Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CHANNEL FREQ'S

From: Konstantin Gavrilenko <mlists () arhont com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:02:20 +0100

Tyler, Grayling wrote:
Geqqam69200,

I've seen a few people refer to the lower 6 channels of wireless as operating in the Ham freq. spectrum. I am a bit confused where this is coming from as 802.11b operates in the ISM (Industrial Scientific and Medical) band. This band (~2.4 GHz) is used by 802.11b to transmit using spread spectrum signals so technically speaking all channels are sent in the same frequency band. I have always been under the impression that the channels simply referred to the code necessary to retrieve the spread spectrum signal sent.

If I'm wrong in my assumptions I'd like to become more educated. To that end I'd appreciate you (or anyone) posing the reference stipulating that the lower channels are in the Ham frequency spectrum while the others are not.
Thanks

Channel ID      FCC  ETSI  France  Japan
1               2412 2412   -      2412
2               2417 2417   -      2417
3               2422 2422   -      2422
4               2427 2427   -      2427