Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: malware added in transit

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rslade () sprint ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:54:26 -0800

From:                   Paul <onestepto () yahoo com au>
Date sent:              Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:58:07 +1100 (EST)

Hi all, perhaps I'm way off-base but I've been under the impression that
malware can be added to clean transmissions as they pass through infected
nodes.  Is this possible?

Hmmmm.  Interesting concept, but unlikely.  (Maybe if you were clearer about the
definition of a node?)  I can't recall anything that actually did this.  Happy99 and
PrettyPark did something similar, but really just creating a followup to the original
(innocent) message.  It's unlikely you'd find something that would/could infect a
router to perform this kind of action.  Not impossible, but unlikely.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
Never mistake motion for action.                  - Ernest Hemingway
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html