Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Re: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:28:48 -0600

Geoincidents wrote:
to secure 2000 without using the network and windowsupdate:

install 2000
sp4
Windows2000-KB823559-x86-ENU.exe

<unbelievably big snip>

Q832894.exe

NT4 is even worse and before they are allowed to completely
drop support for
NT4 they should at least have the decency to do a rollup of
all the patches
so it's left in some sort of workable condition for those who aren't
upgrading.

But that would be opposed to their busines model that is based on doing
their best to force you to upgrade, as opposed to creating and supporting a
good product.  Personally, W2K was my last MS product.

BTW, I love the way SuSe updates online during install, before the first
boot off the hard drive. Those guys know security.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html