Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: a secure base system

From: Jochem Kossen <jkossen () xs4all nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:24:41 +0100

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:37:13PM +0100, harry wrote:
hi all,

i have a little question. i'm asked to set up a base system, which has
to be secure. we want a system from which we can easily install a
compromised system. so i had a few ideas to make it as secure and yet as
usable as possible:

- use debian testing (stable is too old, unstable is ... well... you
know ;))

As testing doesn't get security updates (at least, it's not guaranteed),
IMHO it's a bad point to start with.

- /var and /tmp mounted nosuid and noexec

How about /home? and how about nodev? (dunno if Linux has nodev)

- grsec kernel
- use lvm (so you don't need to worry about the sizes af the partitions)

- remote logging to our logging server

- all this in hardware raid 1 for easy transfer to other systems
- iptables with all connections refused (you need physical access to do
something)
- maybe allow ssh (no root logins)?

==> is this ok, too paranoia or is there somenting i'm missing, and
cound it be even more safe?

It could be more safe definitely. How about OpenBSD? (ye ye i'm
biased ;), but there are more security oriented solutions around)

how about a compiler? normally, all soft on it is compiled by hand, but
it is also "necessary" for a local exploit.

If you don't install a compiler, make sure users can't upload
precompiled compilers :)

any ideas? remarks?

It all depends on what you want to do with the system (webserver?
desktop pc's?)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html