Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [OT] Re: Knocking Microsoft

From: Steve Wray <steve.wray () paradise net nz>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:21:05 +1300

[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: Monday, 1 March 2004 18:33

First of all, why would you do this?  Secondly, it won't work
because the
port will simply tell you that it's already installed and suggest
you
uninstall the previous version first.

Well, it didn't used to.  And if you HAVE to uninstall the old port
before compiling the new one... isn't that already broken?  How long
does it take to compile Apache?  You want your servers down that long?
Once again, I am going on old information, but back then, it was
rediculous how short-sighted some of the ports scripts were.

I hate to butt into this thread but compiling apache on your primary web
server,
even having a compiler on an internet exposed machine, is just plain
daft.

Surely this OS (FreeBSD, IIRC) wouldn't require such lunacy?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html