Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Cronning Update Jobs

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:36:56 +0530

off-list to tell me so. I'd hate for this to turn into another spammy
thread :p

hope all people would do the same thing ....

    My question is this - are there any security risks to adding this
command to a cron job, and having it execute say, once every 12 hours.

'emerge sync && emerge -u world' is one hell of a good way of updating all the pakages but it might just overload the
server or the bandwidth for your net connection ... 12 hours is very short interval i think, how about something like
once every 5-6 days or once a week ?

this way you are sufficiently current

- just do chcek the log files manually every now and then to see if the cron job is actually working or not ;)

-aditya

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html