Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: winxp home expusure

From: Kenton Smith <ksmith () chartwelltechnology com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:00:07 -0700

I don't know why a simple question like this has to turn into a
"Microsoft is the most evil and deceitful company that ever existed"
debate, but that seems to just be the nature of this list.
WinXP Home is called home edition for a reason. It's not designed to be
used in a corporate network, it doesn't allow you to authenticate to a
domain, thereby bypassing domain security policies. This is just one of
many reasons to not run it in a corporate environment. Then again,
Windows 98 should never be run in one either and as we see, lots of
people are. Windows 98 has some huge security weaknesses in its standard
form.
If you have a network-based firewall and run antivirus (and ideally a
host-based firewall), XP Home is probably OK if it's all you can use.
You're better off running an O/S that's designed for a corporate network
though.

Kenton