Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: viruses being sent to this list

From: Todd Burroughs <todd () hostopia com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:49:51 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Gadi Evron wrote:

| However, the mailing list has become, in a growing trend, a means by
| which people transfer viruses, whether it is their intention or if they
| got "0wned" is irrelevant, distributing malware is illegal, and should
| be dealt with by the list owners.

I stand by it being irresponsible, and I do believe it is illegal,
however, laws in different countries vary, so as I can not cite any
ruling at the moment, I'd rather take the "illegal" part back until I
can cite something.

I think that this depends on how you view the list.  I think of it as
simply a distribution mechanism.  We could just as easily use Usenet or
something web based.  I know that I am not responsible for content that
is propagated via my news servers, if I was, they'd be shut down right
away.

If this was a moderated list, I could see the moderator being responsible,
at least to some extent, on the content.

As for the viruses being propagated via the list, I don't think the people
who run the list are responsible, as this is simply a distribution system.
I guess they could run a virus scan on mail going through the list, if that
is what people want.

Todd Burroughs

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html