Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Strange TCP/IP DNS traffic

From: "Matthew Ploessel" <matthew () ploessel com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:17:25 -0700

Shachar,

UDP port 53 is normally used for general dns traffic, however anytime
there is more then 576 bytes of data being transferred the DNS protocol
migrates up to TCP. Common reasons for this is for zone transfers or
overall large server replies. Most likely your bind server or a user
and/or user application is doing some type of resolving which returns a
large reply and thus traggering the use of tcp traffic..  I haven't
looked up the details of the rfc lately, but tcp is part of the dns
protocol, although just like you, many environments block it. If you
still want to, setup tcpdump for afew days and see if you get any
explaination for whats going on.

-Matt