Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MS Anti Virus?

From: Ben Timby <asp () webexc com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:22:11 -0500

I think everyone missed Nick's point. Since reversers work for the competition, don't you think they would find and use the M$ undocumented API? M$ would not be dumb enough to try it, since their competition in this market is comprised of reverse engineers, who would simply "counter-innovate" by using the M$ API :-).

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Naah.. They'd never use an undocumented API to benefit their product at the
expense of the competition, would they? ;)

In this case, no.

Given that a lot of AV technical work is reverse engineering and that most of the best AV reversers are not among those MS "acquired" from RAV or who have joined MS from other AV developers subsequently (not that they haven't got some very good reversers, just there are still an awful ot of them elsewhere), I doubt even MS is stupid enough to consider trying something like this.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html