Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: tvm.exe / poll each.exe / blehdefyreal toolbar

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

The idea here is to learn something from it.
Reformatting the system is
a good idea, but before that takes place it'd be
nice to learn what the
thing actually is and how it works.

"Once you understand the nature of a thing, you know
what it's capable of." - Blade

This thing respawns itself without a reboot. Loading
Tiny Personal
Firewall apparently prevents it from respawning. TPF
does something
about preventing code from being injected into a
process, so maybe
that's why TPF keeps it at bay.

Ok, so it performs DLL injection.  Does the user
account being used on the system have the privilege to
debug programs?

This isn't on any system I use or manage. It's on a
collegue's system
and I am trying to help find a way to figure out
what it does, how to
get it shut down permanently, removed if possible.

I'll provide some input on this.  First, run several
tools to get information from the
system...pslist/tlist/handle/listdlls to get process
information, openports to get process-to-port mapping
info (use both '-netstat' and '-fport' switches).
Check the usual Registry entries where this stuff
likes to hide...map unusual entries there to DLLs
injected into processes, if this is what's happening...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html