Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cleanining viruses from netware

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:46:55 +0200

Harlan Carvey wrote:

> Gadi,
>
> For the sake of the list, would you be willing to
> share the answer you received?

Begin quote>>>
ST wrote:
---------
It relatively easy if the virus is detectable remotely i.e. it has a
component listening on a port. A simple nmap scan followed by a remote
connect and run of the disinfection tool will work. I prefer this
approach over using the directory service as it catches all active
machines, irrespective of whether they are in the directory or not.

Another approach is to use a login script that runs the disinfection
util automatically, subsequent logins do not run the script. I used the
absence of a file in a directory to indicate that the util had to be
run, run the script and then *IF* successful, create the flag file.

A combo of these methods will rapidly and effectivly catch most of the
infected machines and remove them.
-----

        Gadi.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.