Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in sourceforge.net

From: nicolas vigier <boklm () mars-attacks org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:12:05 +0200

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Todd Towles wrote:

I don't think it is big either, but I don't have an account on
soundforge.net - therefore I was unaware of limited access this would give
you. But if they need to correct it, then it is a small vulnerability
(mis-configuration or whatever).

It's not a mis-configuration, this does not allow you to look at any
secret file, only the files that the user nobody can read.

<rant> Directory Traversals are pretty public are one of the vulnerabilities
that should teach people to lock down the services on exposed servers. Why
should your SQL or Web server run as SYSTEM (or root) when it works fine in
a more limited user? Why take the chance. </rant>

On sourceforge it's running as "nobody" (it would be a little better if
they created an account for that).

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html