Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Web sites compromised by IIS attack

From: Denis Dimick <denis () dimick net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:19:12 -0700 (PDT)

Per the Free Software model it does.  The key point here is that Red Hat
is redistributing the code and making  a profit off of it.  It's Red
Hat's choice regarding whether to redistribute said code.  Since they're
making the money off of it, they have to support it.

Sorry Barry but your wrong. If I burn a CD of a bunch of appliactions I
get off the net and sell it, then by what your saying I should be
supporting it? So then my ISP should support all the applications I get
off the net since they take my money and give me net access?

Sendmail and Bind have been riddled with bugs, this is true, but I don't
know if I'd label them some of the most buggy bits of code ever written.  :)

But, as you said, there are far better choices out there -- and Red Hat
(hypothetically speaking, of course) has the choice to distribute those
instead of sendmail/bind.

Have to agree with you here. To me some of the software that they have
"bundled" into their CD's has been odd to say the least.

I fear that RH will probally try to become like M$ in the linux world.

Denis

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html