Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: new outbreak warning - Bagle

From: William Warren <hescomingsoon () verizon net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:49:11 -0500

A large number of enterprises allow exe(at least until blaster) and even allowed netbios into their firewalls(because they did not want to change the defulat exchange prots)..that is how csx and maryland DOT got taken down by blaster..:) this bagel worm could prove quite interesting.

Perrymon, Josh L. wrote:

What am I missing about this worm?
How many companies allow *.exe attachments @ the perimeter? Then allow 6777
outbound.

I'm speculating that small shops / home users are the largest targets. But
*shouldn't* enterprise solutions stop this.

Say that a remote user with no desktop firewall and old defs got infected...
THEN--- the user connects to the core switch.. It's only going to spread with the emails collected off the HD right?

Because it doesn't exploit another *wndoze vuln it has an .exe payload...?

-JP