Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0 Part IV

From: John Bisley <bisley110 () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:15:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All

Can anyone out there clear the FUD and speak to the less Web Savvy (like me) - I set up up a quarantine system
(although still with Internet connectivity) to run the exe-cute-html but this didn't 'appear' to do anything other than
display the "JUNKWARE" text.

i.e. I downloaded the zip and extracted the html and then I double-clicked on the html file so that IE(5.5) would run
it.

So I presume it would be running the html from the MyComputer zone - but I didn't get a dialog box or anything.

I'm mostly interested in whether this is a big risk to the company. I'm willing to believe that users can be fooled
into downloading html and opening it locally (e.g. if they think that they are downloading a useful report), but then,
they can probably be fooled into downloading an exe and running it... So am I simply looking at continued Security
Awareness briefings (or more draconian download restrictions) or is there a greater exposure that I'm missing.

I may have missed earlier parts of this thread so I hope I'm not going over old ground.

Regards

Bis