Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, he lp the cause

From: Justin Bajko <jbajko () CTMSINC com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:47:40 -0500

That Web site is utterly disingenuous.  Rather than giving low-value
information, how about high-value information that actually protects
people:

1) Don't use Windows.
2) Don't use Outlook.

I'll not get into the endless banter that will certainly ensue when I tell
you that, in many circumstances, people don't have a choice in the products
they use. I know I don't, at least at the office. And don't tell me to go
find another job where I won't have to work for Microsoft Nazis -- I thank
my lucky stars just about every day that I actually HAVE a job, considering
the current job market.

What I WILL say, however, is that to Microsoft's credit, Outlook 2003 is
drastically improved over its predecessors. Outlook 2003 will no longer
automatically download pictures that are in an HTML e-mail, nor will it
automatically execute any embedded code or link itself to outside websites
that are linked in an e-mail.

They (MS) have a long way to go, but they're certainly climbing the
mountain.
--
-jtb

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.