Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ftp worm ?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:23:07 +1300

Robert Perriero <perrieror1 () mail montclair edu> wrote:

I would be willing to bet that this is a modified "pub scanner". Similar
to the apache exploit posted, it appears as if it attempts to connect to
machines using known user accounts and passwords. It probably isn't a
worm, but rather someone behind a keyboard attempting to find a place to
store warez.

Your knowledge of pubstro is a tad out of date.  Many pubstro kits
have, for ages, included various kinds of vulnerability scanners.  More
recently (like at least 18 months ago?) semi-automatic "find the next
victim" features were also being added to some pubstro kit, culminating
in at least some fully automated, self-spreading pubstro agents.

In most people's mind, that makes them worms...

I agree that the detects could be evidence of such scanning.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.