Full Disclosure mailing list archives

NetGear VFS/VFM 318 ProSafe Firewall/VPN issue?

From: Darren Bennett <DARREN.L.BENNETT () saic com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:23:03 -0800

When using a NetGear VFS318/VFM318 ProSafe Firewall/VPN. It was possible
to connect to the device from a system by specifying the gateway and an
IP in the same subnet. Mac address filtering was supposedly "on" but by
connecting first with a statically specified IP address and then
reconnecting with the same system via DHCP, the device accepted the
connection (even though it's mac address was not in the "allowed" list).
At that point, access was allowed to systems beyond the firewall/vpn.
I'm not sure if that is "normal" behavior or not... are there known
issues with these devices? Was is a misconfiguration on my part?

        -Darren

--
Darren Bennett - CISSP
Sr. Systems Administrator/Manager

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html