Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: auditing / logging while performing pen test

From: "Aleksander P. Czarnowski" <alekc () avet com pl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:46:27 +0100

What software do you recommend for auditing / logging while performing
pen-test assessment.
I am interested in both network and application level.logging.
Hi,
Despite tcpdump I like using snort as it works both under Win32, BSD and Linux systems. If speed is not a requirement I
usually do logging in text format. For NIDS testing I rather use binary logging and later replay session with snort.
Ethereal and eEye Iris are also nice tools (Iris is commercial and works only under Win NT/2000/XP systems). A lot of
tools has a verbose and very verbose option - a good example might be nmap both with -v and --packet_trace. Sometimes
the best logging tool is a debugger attached to a running process. Depends on what kind of data you need to log and how
do analyze it later.
Just my 2 cents,
Cheers,
Aleksander Czarnowski