Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Small vulnerability in Canadian Pay Pal Secret Question

From: Rob Adams <rob () ebeep org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:06:38 -0600

j tole wrote, in part:

One of the [Paypal] secret questions you can select when
setting up your pay pal account is to enter the last 4
digits of your drivers license. The problem here, is
that the last 4 digits of most any canadian drivers
license are the month and day that you were born. For
example of the last 7 digits of my drivers license
were 8-40726 then I would be born on july 26th, 1984.

J. Tole a.k.a. ph1zzle
jtole2003 () yahoo com

For what it is worth, here in Illinois the last five digits encode your year and date of birth, and gender (the first seven encode your name). For example, a male, born 5/5/1963 would have a license that ends:
   63129

See http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/dl_us_shared.html for details.

Rob Adams

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.