Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ebay forgeries

From: Jean-Marie MONNIER <kedves () attglobal net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:22:43 +0100

Hi Ricardo,
I am brand new to "Full-Disclosure", and I don't know if this is the proper way vto append... If not, please feel free to do so in my behalf... This eBay "spoof" (this is the official name they coined and use) has been around for some time in all kind of shapes and colours, in order to fool un-suspicious recipients To get the full story about this "phishing scam", I suggest you to go and visit:

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identitytheft/spoof-email-and-spoof-web-page-library.htm

Where you get a daily tracking of such scams (and Hoaxes as well)
Although the access is free, they suggest a token donation to keep them afloat, and I must say I diidn't regret any cent of my modest contribution...

I hope this helps,  Jean-Marie

Riccardo Pizzi a écrit:

Hello,

is anyone aware of an ebay message forgery tool in the wild?
I am receiving email messages generated from the ebay system that are
forged to appear from a legitimate ebay member, but in fact they are not.
It looks like the forger saves the "contact the seller" form html code,
modifies it and then posts the forged message thru the ebay CGI system.

The resulting email looks like the faked ebay member is contacting you
and usually tries to convince you to buy an item similar to the one you
have bid on, but outside ebay. Needless to say, he asks you to pay in
advance and I bet the item would never be shipped.

I received two of these in two days. I sent the foged email to ebay but
they just said "it's probably an account takeover".
Anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks,

Riccardo
http://www.vecchiflipper.it