Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Outlook Express - is this possible?

From: "Thor Larholm" <thor () pivx com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:56:44 -0800

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
"Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au> wrote:
I believe an exploit cropped up within the last 12 months or so for OE
(version unknown) where the user has preview pane OFF and receives an
email
that he doesn't actually double click on to open. However, in deleting
it,
the user either web bugs himself or puts some sort of exploit in.

There was an exploitable buffer overflow in a date handling routine in
some .DLL (MSHTML.DLL ???) that OE used for its date functions.

I have a feeling that was closer to two years ago, but have not
bothered to search the archives to check...

It was almost 4 years ago, roughly 3½ to be exact, on July 18 2000.

"Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express GMT Field Buffer Overflow
Vulnerability"
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1481

Details in original post:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/70543

You just had to download the email to be exploited.

Regards

Thor Larholm
Senior Security Researcher
PivX Solutions
24 Corporate Plaza #180
Newport Beach, CA 92660
http://www.pivx.com
thor () pivx com
Phone: +1 (949) 231-8496
PGP: 0x5A276569
6BB1 B77F CB62 0D3D 5A82 C65D E1A4 157C 5A27 6569

PivX defines "Proactive Threat Mitigation". Get a FREE Beta Version of
Qwik-Fix
<http://www.qwik-fix.net>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html