Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Security News Website

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:12:08 -0600

--On Monday, February 16, 2004 4:36 PM -0800 "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss () netpublishing com> wrote:

Hey Paul,

Two questions ...

One, why make assumptions about someone you don't know?

I wasn't aware I made any assumptions. You posted a list of open ports you found by using nmap and suggested that the OP needed help learning about hackers. All I did was ask a question and point out that open ports do not necessarily mean insecure ports.

Two, why answer in an antagonistic tone (minus smileys)?

What about my answer was antagonistic? I asked a simple question and made simple observations.

AFAIK the original post was an ad for a new list. First thing I'm going
to look for is whether the machine hosting the list *appears* secure.
Yeah, they can have a loud nmap response and it can be bogus, no duh!
The machine in question may be running honeypot/masquerading/whatever.
I don't care. Scan any of my IPs and you get RSTs back. That's *my*
version of secure. Attackers get diddly.

Notice that I am not saying that *my* version of secure has to be *yours*.

If what you say is true, then why assume that what you found at someone else's site is insecure? ISTM you're being a little hypocritical, aren't you?

<sigh> I miss the good old BBS days when people who had a clue would
*help* each other instead of making every f**king post into a pissing
contest. Posts like this one are why I have a blacklist for FD.

Aren't you being a bit disingenuous? It was you that posted the list of open ports and suggested the OP need instruction in hacking. All I did was suggest that there were other possibilities beside the OP being clueless. Then you take that as a personal attack and insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you is clueless *and* that this is a pissing contest! If you take offense each time someone offers another POV, you're going to be taking offense all day long, especially on *this* list, aren't you?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member