Full Disclosure mailing list archives

PC/DRM Turing-completness (Re: Removing FIred admins)

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:37:04 +0100

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 02:25:16PM +0100, Benjamin Schweizer wrote:

| programs that it can run.  Basically, if it has enough smarts to
| run a simulator of a Turing Machine, it's Turing-complete - and all
| you need for THAT is a decrement instruction, a 'test and skip next
| if zero' instruction, and a branch instruction.

And unlimited memory (tapes). That's one reason why you can't build a
Turing-complete machine irl.

You can. You don't have to build an *infinite* tape, *unlimited* is
enough. Buy some tape, execute the instructions and buy a new tape
or make (linear) space compression on demand. This way our PCs can
be Turing-complete.

Martin Mačok

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html