Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Virus infect on single user

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:08:27 -0600 (CST)

        [SNIP]

I think the most important advice for the original poster is; Know your
tools. You got this pop-up thing because you thought that by having
Anti-virus and Firewall software that you were fully protected. However
you didn't know what your were still open to. You need to learn what
these tools do and more importantly, what they don't do.

Was it that the user/requestor "didn't know what he was open too"  or had
running on his system that might be an infection voector, or was it that
this user was not thinking at all, let alone thinking he was fully
protvted via the firewall and anti-viri products he had running?  More
like he wasn't paying attention to the fact that the single most open
infection vector on a PC happens to reside in the chair in front of the
keyboard and monitor?  It's tough to get the masses to understand, there's
no silver bullet of "total protection", merely a "as resistanct as
possible", barring PEBCAK.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html