Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: a question about e-mails

From: Nico Golde <nion () gmx net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:17:18 +0100

Hallo Dave,

* Dave Sherohman <esper () sherohman org> [2004-02-27 22:28]:
OK,you tell me who this was bcc'ed to, and I'll believe you.  I can't
get the bcc to show in the headers even if I sit at the command line of
the mail server and type "mail foo -b bar" when both foo and bar are
local addresses.  I can see the bcc info in the message when it's in the
Postfix queue, but not once it is delivered.

Maybe what you did only works when you are using sendmail and reading
the mail on the same machine it was composed on.

No, actually I suspect that it works (or, rather, doesn't work)
because he _isn't_ using sendmail.  Note in Nico's headers that he is
using mutt on a Debian system.  Debian's default MTA is exim.
According to my (Debian-supplied) /etc/Muttrc,

# Exim does not remove Bcc headers
unset write_bcc

Therefore, if he is using exim and has customized his /etc/Muttrc and
~/.muttrc such that write_bcc is being left at its apparent default
of being on, then, yes, he probably is leaking Bcc information.  This
is, however, a flaw in his particular combination of MUA and MTA, not
standard behaviour.

as you can see in the header i used smail for the test.
regards nico

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html